Wednesday 24 July 2013

does quality cost?...eye shadow palettes

Hello ladies,
Today I thought I would compare my three favourite eye shadow palettes for quality and price and see if spending more really does mean getting more.
I will score out of 10 and give an explanation. You may find them different to me as we all have different skin types, so for reference I always base my lids with the smashbox photo finish lid primer to create a smooth matte lid. This primer is tinted so works like a highlighter and leaves your lid all the same colour.
1) Estee Lauder: Pure Color 07 surreal skies (RRP £36) This is the highest price palette I own, similar cost to the Naked palettes but as I am not 100% a fan of those palettes I thought it best to use three I do actually love and wear all the time.
The 5 colours are really complimentary of one another, the dark brown colour provides the perfect shade for smoky eyes, lid crease definition and under eye liner for a less harsh alternative to eyeliner. The dark brown is a matte shade, the lightest colour is super shimmery and the other three have a very subtle shimmer to them. I think this is a perfect combination, I love that the brown is matte and the creamy colour is so shimmery as it allows you to create such dramatic looks but due to the subtlety of the shades this can also be worn as a really neutral every day look.
I love the packaging the mirror is a really good size and the two applicators are also really good which I think is only ever the case in high end products. The only thing I would say is although its nice to get good applicators, if you are anything like me you will not use them anyway as the real techniques are just too good.
Quality: 10/10
Value for money: 8/10
 
2)L'Oreal Paris: Color Riche E2 Nude Lingerie (RRP £7.99) This palette looks really similar to the Estee Lauder one however the shadows are in fact much more pigmented. They all have a shimmer to them which I am not keen on I do think at least the darkest shade should be matte but considering there are only 4 colours and it is £28 cheaper this is a really good product. The packaging looks nice but there is no mirror and the applicator is not great but again I would not use it anyway. The only thing I would say is that considering its named nude I personally do not think the colours are as neutral as they could be; the pinky shade is a pinky coral so as soon as this is applied I would say it no longer looks like a neutral eye look but it is a great quad for smoky eyes and the shadows are high quality.
Quality: 7/10
Value for money:9/10
 
3)MUA: Undress Me Too (RRP £4) I have spoken about this palette before so you know I like the combination of matte and shimmer shadows and the variety of shades that all look great together.
In a comparison of cost and quality it has to be stated the packaging, although not an eye sore, is not really that nice and the applicator is rubbish in my opinion. It would also be nice if there was a mirror and I'm sure people would not mind paying an extra £1 for this as it is so cheap anyway.
The colours are well pigmented the only quality issue I have noticed with this shadow is that when I apply it a dust of the colour does stray and land on your cheek unlike the two palettes above. This is easily solved using tissue under my eye when applying but it is one of my pet hates and its the reason I use pressed powder as opposed to the shadow dusts I have but for £4 its not the end of the world.
Quality: 6/10
Value for money 9/10
 
I hope you have enjoyed this post and found it useful ladies, Please click here if you would like to view a makeup look using the MUA palette.
 
Ciao
   xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment