Friday 6 December 2013

Preventing Clothing Frays

Hello lovelies,
 
Not so much a beauty post today, but I thought this would be really useful for some of you ladies. Most of us beauty addicts tend to love clothes too so I hope this post is helpful to everyone.

I wear a lot of sheer fabrics, thin polyester for example. I have found that with a lot off my shirts the material sometimes tries to fray around the bust buttons and around the arm stitching. I do wear oversized but I am slightly top heavy and just from lifting my arms, playing with my nephew, general life etc. they do tend to fray. Even on expensive tops which is even more annoying! The material does not have any give in it at all so I started thinking of how to prevent this without having to wear 3 sizes to big instead of 2.
 
Hemming tape has been my saviour, I buy mine in wilkinsons its about £2 for 4.5m, you can buy this everywhere I think I saw it in Tesco as well so you don't have to go out of your way to buy this.

All I do is Iron a stip on to each side of my shirts overlapping the shirt and button panel (the shiny side needs to be face down on the shirt). This completely prevents fraying fabric. I have been doing this for about a year, it stays fine even once you have washed it a few times. It is just a really simple and cheap way to make your shirts last longer.

You can buy this in black and white, I have not seen it in another colour but ask your local sewing shop if you are in need of more shades. It comes with a little list of how long to iron this on. To be honest I ignore it completely and iron over a couple of times on a low temperature. You can not see this at all from the outside. One thing I would say though is if you ever plan on wearing one or two buttons open on a shirt do not iron it on this section, as not only will you see it but it will make the fabric stiffer and it would look a little odd.

Hope this has helped lovelies. Comment bellow if you like little tips and tricks I use to clean or keep things nice etc. I will try and do a few more in the future.

Ciao
  xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment